Christopher Robert Carpenter, MD, MSc, FACEP, FAAEM firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate Professor, Emergency Medicine
Director, Evidence Based Medicine, Washington University Division of Emergency Medicine
Click here for research lab
- B.S., Chemistry, Hope College, Holland Michigan 1990
- M.D., Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 1994
- M.Sc., Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine, 2007
- Residency, Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 2003
- Chief Resident, Emergency/Internal Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 2003
Licensure and Board Certification
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Godfrey Chemistry Scholarship, 1987
- Kent County Medical Foundation Award, 1990
- Meritorious Unit Commendation, United States Navy, 1994
- Fleet Marine Force Ribbon, United States Marine Corps, 1998
- Navy Commendation Award, United States Marine Corps, 1998
- Emergency Medicine Foundation Resident Research Grant, 2002
- Allegheny General Hospital Emergency Medicine Outstanding Clinician Award, 2003
- Allegheny General Hospital Excellence in Ambulatory Medicine Award, 2003
- Allegheny General Hospital Kenneth Mitchum Resident Award, 2003
- American College of Emergency Physicians, Pennsylvania Chapter, Best Resident Research Presentation, 2nd Place, 2003
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital Golden Stethoscope Award (Outstanding Teacher), 2004
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital Golden Apple Award (Outstanding Teacher), 2005
- Washington University Center for Aging Kopolow Award (Clinical Care), 2006
- EMRA Award for Excellence in Teaching (National Award), 2006
- Academic Emergency Medicine Outstanding Reviewer (National Award), 2009
- Academic Emergency Medicine Outstanding Reviewer (National Award), 2010
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital Golden Apple Award (Outstanding Teacher), 2010
- Washington University Distinguished Educator House Staff Teaching Award, 2012
Recent Publications view all
- Hess EP, Grudzen CR, Thompson R, Raja AS, Cone DC, Carpenter CR; Shared decision making in the emergency department: respecting patient autonomy when seconds count, Acad Emerg Med (2015). PMID:26112797
- Fuller B, Mohr N, Skrupky L, Fowler SA, Kollef M, Carpenter CR; The use of inhaled prostaglandins in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis, Chest 2015; 147: 1510-1522. PMCID:PMC4451707
- Goodman, MS, Griffey RT, Carpenter CR, Blanchard M, Kaphingst KA; Do subjective measures improve the ability to identify inadequate health literacy in a clinical setting? J Am Board Family Med 2015; 28: 584-594. PMID:26355130
- Scott KR, Milne WK, Arora S, Carpenter CR; Hot off the press: Post-emergency department automated messaging to improve follow-up compliance – What is the Number Needed to Text? Acad Emerg Med 2015; 22: 639-641. PMID:25903049
- Drake A, Milne WK, Carpenter CR; Hot off the press: Subdissociative dose ketamine for acute pain in the ED, Acad Emerg Med 2015; 22: 887-889. PMID:26130219
- Otterness K, Milne WK, Carpenter CR; Hot off the press: B-lines and focused lung ultrasound to diagnose acute heart failure in dyspneic patients, Acad Emerg Med (2015). PMID:26291622
- Hwang U, Carpenter C; Assessing geriatric vulnerability for post emergency department adverse outcomes: challenges abound while progress is slow, Emerg Med J (2015). PMID:26311417
- Finnerty NM, Rodriguez R, Carpenter CR, Sun B, Theyyunni N, Ohle R, Dodd K, Schoenfeld E, Elm K, Kline J, Holmes JF, Kuppermann N; Clinical decision rules for diagnostic imaging in the emergency department: A research agenda, Acad Emerg Med (2015).
- Kanzaria HK, McCabe A, Meisel Z, LeBlanc A, Schaffer JT, Bellolio MF, Vaughan W, Applegate KE, Hollander JE, Grudzen CR, Mills AM, Carpenter CR, Hess EP; Advanced patient-centered outcomes in emergency department diagnostic imaging: A research agenda. Acad Emerg Med (2015).
- Carpenter CR, Raja AS, Brown MD; Overtesting and the downstream consequences of overtreatment: Implications of “Preventing Overdiagnosis” for Emergency Medicine, Acad Emerg Med (2015)
- Pines J, Carpenter CR, Raja A, Schuur J. Evidence-Based Emergency Care: Diagnostic Testing and Clinical Decision Rules 2nd Edition, Oxford UK, Wiley-Blackwell, 2013. ISBN 978-0-470-65783-6
- Carpenter CR; Alcoholic Ketoacidosis. Adams J (ed): Emergency Medicine. Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2008; 1735-1738.
- Carpenter CR, Stern M, Sanders AB; Caring for the Elderly. Rowe BH, Lang ES, Houry D, Newman DH, Wyer PC, (eds): Evidence Based Emergency Medicine. Oxford UK, Wiley-Blackwell, 2009; 260-270.
- Carpenter CR; Teaching Lifelong Learning Skills: Journal Club and Beyond. Rogers RL, Mattu A. Winter M, Martinez J (eds): Practical Teaching in Emergency Medicine 2nd Edition. Oxford UK, Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Carpenter CR; Falls and Fall Prevention in the Elderly. Kahn JH, Olshaker J, Magauran B (eds): Geriatric Emergency Medicine. Cambridge University Press 2014.
- Lowery D, Carpenter CR; Cardiac Patients at End of Life in the Emergency Department. Goodlin SJ, Rich MW (eds): End-of-Life in Cardiovascular Disease. London UK, Springer-Verlag, 2015.
- Hunter B, Carpenter CR; The Development of Clinical Prediction Rules. Wilson MP, Guluma KZ, Hayden S (eds): Making Order Out of Chaos: Practical Advice for Doing Research in the Emergency and Acute Care Setting.” Wiley (2015)
- Carpenter CR, Taleghani N; Older Adults in the Wilderness. Auerbach PS (eds): Wilderness Medicine, 7th Edition. Elsevier (2016).
- Carpenter CR, Ruoff B; Evidence Based Medicine and Wilderness Medicine. Auerbach PS (eds): Wilderness Medicine, 7th Edition. Elsevier (2016).
- Carpenter CR, Kayne B; Cognition and Decision Making. Fondahn E, Lane M, Vannucci A (eds): Washington University Manual of Patient Safety and Quality, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins (2016)
- Carpenter CR; Trauma in the Geriatric Patient. Grossman S, Anderson R, Mattu A, Rosen P (eds): Geriatric Chronicles: Cases, Concepts, and Management, Wiley-Blackwell (2016)