Fellowhip | Schedule
It is helpful to follow a general learning schedule during your fellowship. Please see Sample Schedule section for sample
The typical schedule: (The schedule will vary towards the latter part of the year)
- Monday: QA with Dr. Theodoro at 10am. Literature and reading review. During this time we review all ultrasounds performed by the fellows, residents on rotation, and medical student or other members on the rotation. As the year progresses, the fellow will be expected to take on a supervisorial role and lead the Q/A. We will devote a portion of this time to the review of sentinel and new publications in POCUS.
- Tuesday: EM weekly conference (8am-10am only) when relevant. Fellows should prepare 3 EM US presentations annually on a topic specifically related to POCUS. Fellows should also be prepared to lead EM US “Scholar Track” (3rd Tuesday monthly at 11 am) which includes supervision of the involved resident, literature review, and included relevant ultrasound images.
- Wednesday: Potential ICU or Peds EM scan shift with Dr. Ablordeppey or Dr. Renz. When not available Fellows should plan a scan day.
- Thursday: QA with Dr. Shipley and the involved resident. During this time we review all ultrasounds performed by the fellows, residents on rotation, and medical student or other members on the rotation. As the year progresses, the fellow will be expected to take on a supervisorial role and lead the Q/A. Dr. Shipley scan shift (please stagger between Fellows). Fellows are expected at all Faculty Meetings they can reasonably attend. Fellows are expected to attend all Emergency Medicine Ultrasound Section meetings and, when available, attend the Division’s Journal Club.
- Friday: “Lean In on the ED.” Fellows may use this day as a scan day or to assist with ED workflow in areas specifically related to EM US such as relieving the Observation Unit of DVT scans, Biliary Scans, and assisting in general with ED based procedures.
- Intern Orientation: This occurs the first weekday of each month. The fellow is expected to meet with the rotating intern, review basic image recording techniques, and perform some scanning. Please see appendix B for a specific schedule.