Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
Division of Emergency Medicine
- B.A., Biology & History: Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 1998
- M.D., University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 2004
- Master of Population Health Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 2010-2015
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine: University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 2009
- Chief Resident, Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine: University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 2009
- Fellowship, Infectious Diseases: Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 2012
- Postdoctoral Program : Clinical Research Training Center, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 2012
Licensure and Board Certification
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease
- Missouri State Board of Registration for the Healing Arts
Honors and Awards
- Organization of Chinese Americans DMJ Scholarship, 1994
- Chinese Medical and Health Association Scholarship, 1994
- Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, 1997-1998
- Chief Resident, Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine Residency, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, 2008-2009
- Best Presentation, University of Maryland Emergency Medicine Residency Program, Annual Resident Research Forum, 2009
- Distinguished Service Award, University of Maryland Emergency Medicine Residency Program, 2009
- Shira Kansas, MD, Outstanding Professionalism Award, University of Maryland Emergency Medicine Residency Program, 2009
- Jonathan Freeman Scholarship, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, 2012
- Infectious Diseases Society of America Travel Grant, 2012
Recent Publications view all
- Liang SY, Westblade L, Mehrtens J, Burnham CA, Kuhlmann FM. Fever in a 20 year-old returned traveler. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:461-462. (PMID: 23300263)
- Liang SY, Khair H, McDonald J, Babcock H, Marschall J. Daptomycin vs. vancomycin for osteoarticular infections due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): a nested case-control study. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014;33(4):659-664. (PMID: 24186726)
- Liang SY. Update on emerging infections: news from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital signs: Evaluation of hepatitis C virus infection testing and report – eight U.S. sites, 2005-2011. Ann Emerg Med. 2014;63(5):633-6. (PMID: 24746427)
- Liang SY, Theodoro DL, Schuur JD, Marschall J. Infection prevention in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 2014;64(3):299-313. (PMID: 24721718)
- Patel R, Liang SY, Koolwal P, Kuhlmann FM. Travel advice for the immunocompromised traveller: prophylaxis, vaccination, and other preventive measures. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2015;11:217-28. (PMID: 25709464)
- Liang SY, Vantassell P, Crowe RP, Froelke BR, Marschall J, Bentley MA. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices regarding infection prevention among Emergency Medical Services (EMS) providers. Am J Emerg Med. 2015;33:725-7. (PMID: 25745800)
- Faine BA, Harland KK, Porter B, Liang SY, Mohr N. A clinical decision rule identifies risk factors associated with antimicrobial-resistant urinary pathogens in the emergency department: a retrospective validation study. Ann Pharmacother. 2015;49:649-55. (PMID: 25795004)
- Liang SY, Kumar A. Empiric antimicrobial therapy in severe sepsis and septic shock: optimizing pathogen clearance. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2015;17:493. (PMID: 26031965)
- Bodavula P, Liang SY*, Wu J, VanTassell P, Marschall J. Pressure ulcer-related pelvic osteomyelitis: a neglected disease? Open Forum Infect Dis 2015; 2(3):ofv112. doi:10.1093/ofid/ofv112. (*shared first authorship).
- Liang SY, Reno HE. Update on emerging infections: news from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines, 2015. Ann Emerg Med. (submitted)
- Liang S, McDonald J. The acute febrile patient and sepsis. In: The Washington Manual of Infectious Diseases. Eds. Kirmani N, Woeltje K, Babcock H. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins;2013. pp 5-27.
- Liang S, Kirmani N. Fever of unknown origin. In: The Washington Manual of Infectious Diseases. Eds. Kirmani N, Woeltje K, Babcock H. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins;2013. pp 29-38.
- Liang S, Cross S, Kirmani N. Treatment of infectious diseases. In: The Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics. Eds. Godara H, Hirbe A, Nassif M, Otepka H, Rosenstock A. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins;2013. pp 472-549.
- Liang S, Bond M, Abraham M. Orthopedic infections and other complications. In: Orthopedic Emergencies: Expert Management for the Emergency Physician. Eds. Bond M, Perron A, Abraham M. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press;2013. pp 178-190.
- Anderson RA, Liang S. Infectious diseases in the elderly. In: Geriatric Emergency Medicine: Principles and Practice. Eds. Kahn J, Magauran B, Olshaker J. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press;2014. pp 254-262.
- Liang S, Kumar A. Optimizing antimicrobial therapy in the ICU. In: Handbook of ICU Therapy. Eds. Fuller J, Granton J, McConachie I. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press;2015. Pp 173-186.
- Liang S, Taylor M, Waterman A. Disclosure of adverse events & medical errors: supporting the patient & the provider. In: The Washington Manual of Patient Safety & Quality. (submitted)
- Liang S. Toxic shock syndrome and streptococcal toxic shock syndrome. In: Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. (submitted)
- Nazinitsky A, Liang S, Kirmani N. Treatment of infectious diseases. In: The Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics. (submitted)
- Liang S, Casabar E. Understand when and how to initiate HIV post-exposure prophylaxis in the emergency department. In: Avoiding Common Errors in the Emergency Department. (submitted)